Le Jardin des Vertueux
A ecological, educative and artistic garden in Amiens hortillonnages.
The hortillonnages are floating gardens in the very centre of Amiens city. Formely swanps progressively modified by human, theses 300 hectares are interlaced with 65km of canals. These market gardens have been cultivated since the Middle Ages. In the 19th century, Amiens was then called “the Venice of vegetables”, but today the main danger of this UNESCO world heritage site is abandonment of parcels .
The Jardin des Vertueux project is a sauving preservation of abandonned hortillonnages. Since 2 years, volonteers work hardly to restore 3 acres. Visitors will discover Hortillonnages inside walking in various parcels : an ecological vegetable garden, educative and play parcels, wild islands, some Art Nature installations.
Practical information :
- July and August : Tuesday to Sunday from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- June and September : only Saturday and Sunday from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Rates: Adult €3, child €2.
- Location : Reached by car or byke or bus (line : 1, 12, 16, station: Pont de l'Avre), between Amiens and Longueau, Chaussée Jules Ferry street, opposite side of famous "Restaurant des Marais"
- GPS : Latitude = 49.8779 Longitude = 2.3397
- Acces map